Saturday, July 21, 2007

Update - Please pray!!!

Good evening Ladies! I just popped on here real quick while I am getting ready to leave in the morning on vacation! I am very excited to be going - as we all are - but also a little worried about the timing! Let me update you on Michael...

I saw him on Thursday evening and that was the first time I saw him awake. Every other time that I had been there, he had been asleep. It was very sobering to see him. The initial reports that there is no brain damage are not accurate. What they probably meant when they told us that was that there was no bleeding on the brain - there was no other damage to the physical part of the brain. There is damage to the neurological part of the brain. At this point, we aren't sure how much and what it will mean for Michael. His speech has gotten worse each day, instead of better. It is really hard to describe how he is....but he just keeps asking - about every 2 - 3 minutes - what happened? And then he will ask why and then he will ask what did I do and he starts crying. It is very scary for the family and today was not a good day for his parents. They just told them today that there is probably some brain damage.

At any rate, they did the surgery yesterday and put in the defibulator. This is like an insurance policy....he may never need it....but in case he does, it is there. They are planning on moving him to yet another hospital - Miami Valley - on Monday to begin intensive cardiac/neurological/physical rehab. I am hoping that they see a dramatic improvement in him once they get him up and moving and really start working with him.

An amazing thing today....one of my cousins was up from Kentucky and she is also a whiz. She is a high school honor's teacher and also a professor. She asked Michael what a(squared) plus b(squared) equaled....and he told her c(squared). She said that was right. Then she asked him what that was and he mouthed it....barely audible, but said phthagorean theorem. Now, I didn't even know that! LOL And he also kinda looked at her like why in the world she was asking him that. So....I thought that was an amazing sign.

So...anyways....it is a long road ahead of Michael and our family would covet your prayers. I can't stop thinking about them and I know my Dad feels the same way. On one hand it will probably be good for my Dad to go away on vacation and kinda get his mind off of it. But on the other hand, I know he feels bad about leaving. Michael has always had a special place in my Dad's heart and vice versa.

I will say one thing....so many of Michael's friends have come to see him and it is amazing to see how much these young people are pulling together for him. It really says a lot about his character. I am so proud of him.

Thanks for your continued prayers. I might post from the beach if Scott's computer gets good reception...and if I have time!

Love you all!!!!

2 comments:

Kelley said...

I hate that the results that you heard weren't exactly right. We'll pray for Michael and his family. That is awesome about what your cousin asked him. He's still got a ton of info in there!!!! Keep us updated!!!!

Have a wonderful and restful vacation!
Lots of Love!

Sara said...

Well, I know it's disheartening to hear about the brain damage, but at least it sounds like he still knows some things...that others of us don't! LOL. I hope you're having a great time on vacation! Love ya!